Visualize Your Ideal Birth
How to Focus on Getting What You Want
What is Visualization?
Remember when I wrote about the positive effects of relaxation? Well, another good childbirth training technique for an ideal birth is to use mental imagery, so-called visualization. Visualization is the process of creating a mental image or intention of what we want to happen or feel.
Visualization coupled with practice is proven to be successful amongst athletes, students and business professionals; basically anyone who wants to achieve a certain goal.
For example, professional ski jumpers and slalom skiers use visualization techniques to picture each section of the track, from beginning to end, especially concentrating on the difficult obstacles. This way, there are no surprises during the competition, they feel confident and are prepared to win.
„We believe that every woman has within her the power to call upon her natural instincts to bring about the best possible birthing for her baby and herself.“
What is MyGentleBorn?
In the MyGentleBorn Approach, I also teach visualization techniques to help you achieve your goal: Experiencing your ideal birth. By imaging how you want your birth to be, your mind and body become trained to actually perform the skill imagined.
It’s time to visualize: Answer these – or similar – questions:
- Where do you want to give birth (home, hospital)?
- Who will be there with you (husband, partner, doula)?
- How do you want to birth (tub, birthing stool/chair/standing/bed)?
- What kind of music would you like to hear, if any? Are there any other sounds or smells?
- How do you want the surges (contractions) to feel like: Tightness? Pressure? A tingly sensation? Pulling up? Numbness?
- What happens right after birth: how do you feel when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time?
What is Your Ideal Birth?
By answering the questions above, you will have a good idea of what your ideal birth means to YOU. In the MyGentleBorn Birth Preparation Classes, I help you further with visualization techniques so that you can elaborate on your own ideas and thoughts. When the time comes to give birth, you will know exactly what to do, because all motions will be engrained in your subconscious.
Have you ever tried visualization techniques to achieve a goal? How was it for you? Please share your experience in the comments below.